How to Reference Books and Articles in Text
Before computers, we used our typewriters to underline book titles and we placed quotation marks around article titles. Some organizations still prefer this method. However, current style manuals recommend italicizing book titles and magazine names (impossible to do on a typewriter) and using quotation marks around articles.
Example: I read Lord of the Flies in high school.
Example: I enjoyed reading “Become Your Own Best Friend” in Newsweek.
Choose the correct sentence.
1. A. My brother thought the “New York Times” article Homeless Team Roots for a New Life Through Soccer was fascinating.
1. B. My brother thought the New York Times article “Homeless Team Roots for a New Life Through Soccer” was fascinating.
2. A. “Light Meals for Nibblers” is a chapter in The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks.
2. B. Light Meals for Nibblers is a chapter in “The Enchanted Broccoli Forest,” one of my favorite vegetarian cookbooks.
3. A. I remember reading “The Catcher in the Rye” when I was a teenager.
3. B. I remember reading The Catcher in the Rye when I was a teenager.
Posted on Sunday, May 3rd, 2009, at 11:41 pm