The expression the number is followed by a singular verb while the expression a number is followed by a plural verb.
The number of people we need to hire is thirteen.
A number of people have written in about this subject.
Choose the correct word in each sentence.
1. The number of people lined up for tickets was/were four hundred.
2. A number of suggestions was/were made.
3. There is/are a number of important announcements in the bulletin.
4. Here is/are the number of milk shakes you requested.
Pop Quiz Answers
1. The number of people lined up for tickets was four hundred.
2. A number of suggestions were made.
3. There are a number of important announcements in the bulletin.
4. Here is the number of milk shakes you requested.
Posted on Thursday, December 9, 2010, at 9:01 am
If you wish to respond to another reader's question or comment, please click its corresponding "REPLY" button. If the article or the existing discussions do not address a thought or question you have on the subject, please use the "Comment" box at the bottom of this page.86 Comments on The Number vs. A Number